Need to know what to do if you forgot Ubuntu Password? Have no fear if you ever forget your password and are unable to log into Ubuntu in your computer . There is a very simple and quick way to reset your password with the help of recovery mode option in the Grub menu.
Do the following steps to reset your password:
- Start your computer.
- In the Grub Menu which appears by default when you start your computer, Select “Advanced options for Ubuntu“.
- In the next screen, Select “Ubuntu, with Linux 3.11.0-13-generic (recovery mode)“.
- Now You will be shown the recovery menu. In the recovery menu Select “root – Drop to root shell prompt“.
- Now a command prompt will appear at the bottom of the screen. In the command prompt, type the following command to show all the users of your computer.
- Next, Type the following command in the command prompt to mount with permissions.
- Now Type “passwd username” in the Command prompt. For example if the username you selected is “abc“, then type the following command in the command prompt:
- It will now prompt you for a new password:
- After Entering and retyping the new password in the command prompt, It will show the following message:
- That’s It! You can now just restart your computer and log in to Ubuntu with your new password. Type “reboot” in the command prompt to restart your computer.
You can use this method to reset your password whenever a need arises. But be careful as someone else might also use this method to reset your password and log in to your system.