Technology has modified several informational systems and processes into relevant and substantial procedures. It implemented an efficient and modernized way to perform multiple tasks without sacrificing quality and timeliness. However, there are corresponding drawbacks as to technology. The upsurge of different cyber-crimes has risen. Currently, these virtual attacks are still occurring and proliferating. It stirs up the companies as this issue creates pressure and risks to most enterprises worldwide.
Data Threats News Updates
As per Thales Data Threat Report for 2017, the statistics measure the data vulnerability risks experienced by many companies around the globe. There are 73% companies spending on data security to reduce the data threats such as cyberattacks, hackers, and more. Furthermore, 68% enterprises were already exposed to data breaches.
With regard to this issue, many companies’ confidential and internal information are transmitted, stolen, and viewed by unauthorized people. This is definitely an alarming notice to every company. What could be the best practices to overcome these threats?
Strategic Practices for an Enterprise Security
- Secured VPN Router
Companies should install a good wireless router with IDS, IPS, VPN, and traffic functionality built-ins. You could usually test out a free VPN service but to upgrade and access a services best features, its usually the better way to go. These features help to counter attack any fraudulent data risks. The IDS is an acronym for Intrusion Defense System and it acts as the traffic monitoring structure. It determines any potential breaches in the private network of the firm. On the other hand, the IPS serve as the additional firewall support that filters any suspicious data and allows qualified data flow. Using these techniques, this will be your primary step in conducting a secured data stream in the company.
- WPA 2 with AES Encryption
Keep an eye with your wireless protected access. Adjust the level of the company’s WIFI settings and raise it to WPA2. This setting provides a strong encryption method.It makes the company’s database complex for the cyber criminals and hackers to penetrate the systems. It has also a built-in Temporal Key Integrity Protocol to support the WPA2. Moreover, the Advanced Encryption Standard is the highest level of encryption mode that can automatically disallow any suspicious entries. It will only recognize legit devices connected. In connection to the secured router, make sure to turn on the WPA 2 settings of your router for network security purposes.
- Adjust the Firewall Parameters
Turn the firewall at its highest point. This setting will be the primary defense of your computer network. It technically withdrew unwanted files and block any fraudulent and untrusted sites to enter the company’s system. By instituting this first line of defense, it helps reduce the data traffic. Also, it maintains the efficient flow of data and information within the company. The firewall protects the internal information and assets exponentially.
- Configure Web Security Settings
As per Verizon Data Breach Investigation Report, an estimated 51% of the victims are experiencing web applications attacks. Preferably, the financial institutions are the most vulnerable to this issue. To further improve the company’s security, they should also use web security settings. Some of these web securities provide data leakage prevention function, URL categorization techniques, AV Scanning, and Malware Scanning. Some of the basic web security setting configurations are as follows:
- For google chrome users, you must enable the option for phishing and malware protection under privacy section.
- Turn off any instant searching engines since your IP address is automatically being forwarded to the Google. It will also become easy for the hackers to detect your data.
- If the company uses syncing web apps, make sure to set the “encrypt all synced data option”.In this way, it will perform encryption security test first before allowing the syncing function.
- Finally, make sure to reset your password at least once every three months for monitoring purposes.
- Impose Sensitivity Controls to Emails
Emails are the most susceptible system applications that can be easily tracked down by the hackers and cyber criminals. When the company accidentally opened and viewed the suspicious email, this is already an invitation to threats and website virus attacks. To provide a solution to this issue, implement these following methods:
- Use a two-step verification process so that it will prompt your phone, alternative email, or device when someone is attempting to login your account. In this way, the suspicious user will not be able to penetrate to your account.
- Check the POP and IMAP settings of your email if these are correct and verified. This will ensure that your messages are not being forwarded to an unknown recipient.
- For unknown senders, you can try the filter and block option tool of your email to remove their messages.
- Make sure to report any unanimous and fraudulent sender to the support center so that they will perform any counter measures against the sender.