Corruption of Exchange Server database directly affects the work of the organization. Whole communication channel inside and outside the organization cannot be carried out smoothly. In order to solve the above problem, it becomes compulsory to repair the corrupt Exchange Server database. Repair can be carried out with the help of inbuilt methods. But, sometimes inbuilt methods fail when the level of corruption is quite high.
Discussed below is an error message that appears on the screen when an attempt is made to mount the public folder store or mailbox store on an Exchange based computer system, an attempt to mount the mailbox store or public folder store fails. Additionally, the below stated error message appears on the screen that says:
“The database files in this storage are inconsistent.”
Presence of such error message is quite irritating. Data becomes inaccessible as public folder store or mailbox store remains unmounted on an Exchange based computer system.
The most prominent cause for the occurrence of above error message is the inconsistencies contained in the public or mailbox store.
For solving the above issue, it is recommended to restore the database from an updated backup. After restoration of data from a backup, try to mount the public store.
In case of no backup, the primary job becomes to repair the information store database. Repair of information store database can be done with the help of below steps:
- At a command prompt, change to the drive: \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Bin folder, drive refers to the drive letter where installation of Exchange Server is done. A help of below stated commands can be used:
- For restoration of the mailbox store, enter eseutil /p “drive:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb”, and then select ENTER.
- Restoration of public folder store, enter eseutil /p “drive:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\pub1.edb”, and then select ENTER.
- Enter eseutil /mh “drive:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb” (or
pub1.edb) at the command prompt, and then select ENTER to check the
information of the consistency that is returned.
- Enter eseutil /d “drive:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb” (or
pub1.edb), at the command prompt, and then press ENTER to defragment and
compact the database.
- Enter ISINTEG -S Server_Name -FIX -TEST ALLTESTS, at the command
Prompt, and then select ENTER. Repeat the same for several times, until zero fixes and zero errors do not get found.
- Then, mount the store.
- At last, backup the store. In case of Exchange backup file corruption, you can also repair the corrupt Exchange backup file to extract the original databases files.
If the same error message still persists, then it is advised to perform recovery with help of a third party Exchange Server recovery tool. A lot of third party tools are available in the market.