There are numerous self help books, websites, programs, and materials being offered with the intent to teach you how to find purpose in your life. These products and services walk you step-by-step through the process of how to discover your passion. Many of them deal with helping you maintain a positive thinking attitude as well. For the most part, these products and services are great tools. At the end of the day, the underlying theme is often the following: The primary key to achieving more success and moving toward the person you want to become is YOU. You possess the tools that are needed in order to discover your passion and how to find your purpose in life.
So where do you start when you’re on the journey of identifying how to find purpose in your life?
1) Find a time and a place during the day, preferably down time, where you can sit down with a pen and paper free of any distractions.
2) Turn off your cell phone and free yourself of any distractions. (ex. family members, friends, electronics, etc)
3) Sit down, quiet your mind, and reflect.
4) When you are ready, begin with the process of writing your goals, dreams, and things that you hope to accomplish during your lifetime. These things should make you excited to think about!
5) Create a list of what you will need in order to be successful accomplishing these goals and dreams.
It is critical to maintain a positive thinking attitude while doing these steps. If you are having a difficult time identifying your goals and dreams, here are a few questions that you can ask yourself that may help you with discovering your passion.
By asking yourself these questions, you may inherently find the answers on how to find your purpose in life.
What makes you smile in life?
What are some hobbies that you enjoy doing and that make you feel good about yourself?
What are your strengths? What comes easy to you?
Are there specific things that your friends and family consistently ask you for help with?
Who inspires you? What values, characteristics, and lifestyle do these people have?
By sitting down and going through this process, this is the first step to helping you to discover your passion. When doing this exercise, it is important to be honest with yourself about your answers. If you find yourself having difficulty answering these questions or identifying what your passion is, don’t be alarmed. Often times, these type of things take time. How long might you ask? It varies with each person depending on their experiences and circumstances. The important thing is to continue the process of searching deep within you for the answers and asking the right questions. By doing so, you are well on your way to discovering how to find purpose in your life.