Twitter is more than a cool way to stay in touch with your friends and family; it also offers you many opportunities to make money on the side. You just need to look for ways to use the website and its features to make that extra cash, and with a dab of your creativity and resourcefulness, then you’re on your way.
With traditional advertising proving less effective, marketers need new outlets like Twitter and Facebook to help create interest and demand for whatever it is they are selling. Here are some ways you can monetize your Twitter
Twitter is a micro-blogging platform where short messages or ‘tweets’ are made and sent out as updates to everyone in their online network, helping people keep in touch and connect with other people. It has become so huge the more enterprising ones have found ways to make a profit out of it. And with marketers looking for new outlets to advertise, Twitter has caught on as one of the best places to get potential customers to see their products.
But how does one make money with Twitter?
Apparently, there are many ways.
- There are companies that let you sign up with them to tweet about their goods or services, in what they call a Paid Review or Tweet. They will pay you for this, depending on how many followers you have. You can also do direct advertisements by tweeting daily on the products of advertisers. You would need to have a high click-through rate as a result of your tweets, though, which also means having a wide reach or a large number of followers. So choose this option if you have both.
- Affiliate marketers have gone beyond their websites and entered the world of Twitter in their marketing strategies. They now also sell their affiliate products by placing their links in their tweets, and everyone who is subscribed to the marketer’s tweets can click on the links which will take them to the marketer’s webpage. You can even sell your own stuff by telling other people on Twitter about what you’re selling. That’s an obvious way to expand your customer base.
- If you’re adept at blogging and social media and the rudiments of Twitter, you could twit professionally for a company who wants to have an online presence with Twitter. Professional twitters blog about the companies that pays them to tweet; they do not ‘tweet’ about themselves, unless it is about their experiences with the company’ goods or services. Not all companies out there are ready to ease into this online world, and would need someone with your skills and experience to help them become one of those innovative companies that have become popular in social media.
- How about actually earning from a job? Yes, you can also make money through Twitter by finding a job that has been tweeted by a person or a company. Tweets that say they are looking to hire people with this skill or that skill are growing in number every day. A service, RevTwt, pays you to tweet ads that you choose and you need to get click throughs to get paid.
- Another way to make money with Twitter is sponsored contests, where an advertiser uses a popular twitter user to raise awareness or get feedback on their products or services. This can be done by running a contest where the twitter user asks his followers to describe the product or say why they like the product, and the advertiser can give a prize to the answer they like best.
It goes without saying that you need to be an active Twitter user to be able to do any of these suggested ways to generate income from using it. Be careful to incorporate these ways into how you normally use Twitter, so as not to appear your hard selling and taking advantage of your followers. Respond to your followers consistently and be creative and witty in your tweets to keep or even increase your followers.
These are more than a handful of means to monetize your tweets, and there are more ways out there than you would probably care to try. Choose which you think is best for you and do it to the best of your ability, and you might just create several streams of income from your Twitter experience.